Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 6 March 2012

One on One time

Having five kids plus usually a foster baby I worry about making sure that I emotionally meet the needs of my kids.  I know I can make sure they have a relatively clean house, clean clothes to wear, good food in their bellies.  But what about meeting their emotional needs.  They are part of a big family.  Most things are done in groups-the little kids, the big kids, the girls, the boys.  One on one time is always at a premium, yet it is so important.  Those one on one times are when we get to have a conversation all about that child.  It's when they can be selfish-and it is all about them.  I really treasure those moments.  it's the times when I get to find out who likes who in their class, what new music they like, what their hopes and dreams are.  Like any mom, I want them to need me.  I want them to ask me for my opinion or advice.  There are many ways I find to get one on one with my kids.  Sometimes it's a simple trip to the grocery store.  Other times, like today Hubby and I took G to the high school for a meeting and decided to take her for lunch.  It gave us the chance to ask her about her impressions of the school, her fears of moving on to a new school and her goals.  I love that feeling of intimacy, just her and us.  It is so nice to see her smile, to hear her giggle.  I always hope I can find more of these moments-I want my children to grow up knowing they are special, they are an individual and they will always be "mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment